Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Entry 1: Back Seat

In this week's Newsweek, there was an interesting article about the relief effort in the Sichuan province that caught my eye. The article talks about the 7.9 Earthquake on May 12th that destroyed the area and the government’s efforts to repair their image by helping out with the salvation process.
With several images of the destruction and the knowledge that Sichuan was not the only city devastated by earthquakes, it made for very depressing news. While reading the article and then looking at the topics i was surprised to realize that I had heard nothing about the upcoming Olympics at all in the news recently. It may just be because I haven't been watching as much TV, but I recall seeing ads for it as early as March and now the event seems to have dropped off the radar. In the bookstore I was looking for any magazines that had an Olympics headline and yet there was nothing. Even with me, the Olympics seemed to have taken a back seat to other events and the everyday grind. There used to be this excitement around the Olympics, but at the moment it seems to be one of furthest things from my mind.

No comments: